INFORMATION THAT EDX COLLECTS FROM YOU (INCLUDING PERSONAL INFORMATION)
edX directly collects information when you:
- contribute code to edX, submit an edX Platform Repository Contributor Agreement, or submit an Open edX Enhancement Proposal (OEP);
- contact us by completing online forms or by sending email messages to edX (including messages to support teams);
- participate in user surveys; and
- participate in public mailing lists, chat rooms, forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the Open edX website or otherwise sponsored by the Open edX team.
edX also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the Open edX website, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and Tracking Technologies.
edX encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing Personal Information on the Open edX website. (Deletion of your Personal Information will be subject to the process and limits outlined below.)
COOKIES AND TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES ON THE OPEN EDX WEBSITE
- based on your cookie settings, edX tracks information indicating, among other things, which pages of the Open edX website were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- edX may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type when you use edX native mobile apps) you used when accessing the Open edX website, and edX may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity; and
- edX may track and collect information from emails that edX sends to you, for example whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
edX also partners with third parties to help us track and understand your activity on the Open edX website, how you interact with edX’s social media, and how you find or may be referred to the Open edX website. Third-party service providers that support the Open edX community may separately use Tracking Technologies through links from the Open edX website to their own websites to understand how you find or may be referred to their websites.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the Open edX website works properly for you. Without these technologies, the Open edX website may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help edX gather information about how visitors use the Open edX website and monitor Open edX website performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the Open edX website before and may have any personal preferences; and
- to support marketing by enabling edX to deliver content relevant to your interests on the Open edX website and third-party sites based on how you interact with edX advertisements or content. edX uses “first-party” cookies, which means cookies served by edX, and also “third-party” cookies, which means cookies served by third parties that help edX track this information.
You have some options for managing Cookies and other Tracking Technologies. These include:
- Modifying your browser settings: You should be able to control how and whether your web browser accepts Cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new Cookies, how to receive notification of new Cookies, and how to disable existing Cookies. If you reject edX’s Cookies, many functions and conveniences of the Open edX website may not work properly.
- Opting-out of certain third-party tracking and advertising: Some of the third parties used by edX for Cookies and Tracking Technologies offer the ability to opt-out from their tracking by following processes described on their websites. A list of some such third parties is maintained and available at the edX learner Help Center and includes, for some, links to applicable opt-out processes. edX is not responsible for the effectiveness of any third-party opt-out options.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS USED
edX uses information, including Personal Information, to carry out the following purposes:
- Operate and improve the Open edX website – This includes creating and improving features that enable Open edX website usage at scale and otherwise support the Open edX community, including through the Open edX Marketplace and Open edX Preferred Provider Program. This also includes personalizing the Open edX website, so your experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Offer and improve products and services – This includes enabling you to navigate the Open edX website and to participate in public mailing lists, chat rooms, forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences offered on the Open edX website or otherwise sponsored by the Open edX team.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the Open edX website – This includes tracking Open edX website outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the Open edX website.
- Communicate with you – This includes notifying you of Open edX website maintenance and updates, answering your questions regarding the platform and/or the Open edX Marketplace, marketing to you about offerings, news, and related products and services of edX, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services of selected business partners that may be of interest to you.
- Track Open edX website usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate use of the Open edX Marketplace and access to products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to business partners and external audiences.
- Exercise, enforce, and comply with legal rights and obligations – This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of edX or others, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
edX may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION IS SHARED
edX shares information, including Personal Information, with third parties for the following purposes:
- With other visitors to the Open edX website, to create an interactive community environment – This includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific platform partners.
edX may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, edX may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner that does not personally identify you.
HOW TO MANAGE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can manage your Personal Information through requests to the Open edX team at email@example.com. edX will provide support to the extent required by applicable law (for example, users in the European Union) and more broadly when possible, as a courtesy in our sole discretion. edX will notify you in the event that edX is unable to meet a request that is not legally required.
Access and correct your Personal Information. For access to and correction of your Personal Information, please contact the Open edX team.
- edX does not track or index every time or every place on the Open edX website when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so edX will not be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. edX encourages you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the Open edX website.
Restrict or object to the processing of Personal Information. If you want to manage emails and other communications to you, you may follow the steps described in links at the bottom of email messages or contact the Open edX team. You may object to, or request that edX stop, its use of your Personal Information for other purposes by contacting the Open edX team. Please note that if you choose to restrict edX’s ability to process Personal Information, and the processing is otherwise required to provide you with various services and products offered on the Open edX website, edX may not be able to provide you with those services or products.
Data retention. edX will retain your Personal Information for as long as needed to provide you with products and services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with edX’s legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
Delete your Personal Information. To request deletion of your Personal Information, please contact the Open edX team.
- Deletion will not apply to historical activity logs or archives unless and until these logs and data naturally “age-off” the edX system.
- edX does not track or index every time or every place on the Open edX website when or where a user may volunteer Personal Information, so edX will not be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. edX encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing your Personal Information on the Open edX website.
- edX cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions including, for example, records relating to financial reporting, audit, and compliance.
- edX will retain and use Personal Information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
STORAGE & SECURITY
edX stores information, including Personal Information, on its own servers and also on servers of companies that edX hires to provide services. In each case, information may be stored in the United States and in other countries where edX operates, and in countries where edX’s service providers operate. If you are in the European Union, Switzerland, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, you acknowledge that edX may transfer, process and store your personal information in the United States and other countries, the privacy laws of which may be considered less strict than those of your region.
edX controls its own copy of information collected through the Open edX website and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. edX uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, edX cannot guarantee its absolute security. While edX works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, edX cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent “hackers” or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If edX learns of a security breach involving its copy of your Personal Information, edX may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By using the Open edX website or providing Personal Information to edX, you agree that edX can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Open edX website. If a security systems breach occurs, edX may post a notice on the Open edX website homepage (open.edx.org) or elsewhere on the Open edX website and may send an email to you at the email address associated with you in edX’s records. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the Personal Information that edX maintains about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also write to us at: ATTN: PRIVACY, edX Inc., 141 Portland Street, Cambridge, MA 02139 USA.
Open edX website consists of all content and pages located within the open.edX.org web domain.
Personal Information is information that specifically identifies you or that, when combined with other information, could be used to identify you.
Tracking Technologies are web beacons, clear gifs, pixels, and similar technologies that are also unique identifiers used to track your online activity but are not stored on your device.
May 1, 2021